in case anyone’s wondering why you shouldn’t wear straight jackets for halloween:
- straight jackets are symbols of the oppression of the mentally ill, they are the embodiment of centuries of violent ableism
- when people were put into straight jackets they lost their autonomy and control over their own body which is a terrifying thing to experience and a loss of basic human rights
- as someone who has been physically and chemically restrained, when i see someone wearing a straight jacket for halloween it says to me that you think the abuses that sane people have perpetuated against me and people like me are a costume you can put on for one night and then take off and go home and never have to think about what it does to a person to be have their most basic rights taken away
- DO IT
Friends don’t let friends wear anything asylum-related 2k14
after reblogging this i opened up a card my great aunt gave me it has money in itIt could be a complete coincidence but I reblogged this yesterday and toda I fouund $40 at the fruit maket
when you got nothing you got nothing to lose
I got a job after reblogging this !
Just got a job
The issue with Fox’s misogyny toward female pilots is that it reinforces the very thing military women already deal with from male counterparts.
And veterans are speaking out.
Read an open letter to Fox about Eric Bolling’s “boobs on the ground” remark, written by U.S. military veterans from the Truman Nat’l Security project:
Before you jump to the standby excuse that you were “just making a joke” or “having a laugh,” let the men amongst our number preemptively respond: You are not funny. You are not clever. And you are not excused. Perhaps the phrase “boys will be boys”—inevitably uttered wherever misogyny is present—is relevant. Men would never insult and demean a fellow servicemember; boys think saying the word ‘boobs’ is funny.
The less obvious implication of your remarks, however, is that by offending an ally and cheapening her contribution, you are actively hurting the mission. We need to send a clear message that anyone, male or female, who will stand up to ISIS and get the job done is worthy of our respect and gratitude.
We issue an apology on your behalf to Major Al Mansouri knowing that anything your producers force you to say will be contrived and insincere. Major, we’re sincerely sorry for the rudeness; clearly, these boys don’t take your service seriously, but we and the rest of the American public do.
Disclosure: Lisa Reed is a Media Matters employee.
Remember: To the pigs at Fox (and their masters Rupert Murdoch and Roger Ailes) - and every man who thinks like them - a woman could find the cure for cancer or be a war hero, and she’d still be the focus of 1960s-era jokes about how women are brainless sex toys.
BREAKING: Here’s the tweet that could lead to a new grand jury in Ferguson, MO.
#Ferguson: @shaunking took screenshot of tweeter @thesusannichols who claims to know juror on #MikeBrown #DarrenWilson grand jury & appears to be receiving leaked information. King says that within seconds of posting this, her friends told her to delete it & she did but not before it was screenshotted. She has since deleted her entire account but King says they checked & she is indeed a #STL resident w/ years’ worth of tweets from there. “If true, her tweet not only reveals a leak in the grand jury, but gives us an ugly glimpse into how things have gone so far. This person who posted it on twitter & her contact on the grand jury must be fully & completely investigated & removed if it’s true.”-@shaunking
Y’all better reblog the fuck outta this post it on facebook, twitter, IG, myspace, friendster, everything get this information out
You can’t pick and choose what parts of feminism you want. You can’t support your queer sisters but not your trans sisters. You can’t support your fat sisters but not your sisters of colour. Being a feminist means creating a positive and equal space for women. The second you start excluding women based on which characteristics you do or do not find appealing you have defeated the whole point of being a feminist.
tears in my eyes; solidarity arising from such horrible situations is bittersweet.
Well goddamn 😢
BTW, Babylon 5 might have been the one of the first tv series to do the “serial killers as goodish guys” trope. Although JMS went a little beyond just plain serial killer. His “tragic hero” is Londo, a guy who committed mass genocide. Twice.
Also, JMS also tries to sell Jack the Ripper as a misguided messenger who just needs to learn his lesson (how he learns his lesson: by ~torturing~ other characters to determine whether they are heroes worthy of fighting for the cause).
Yeah, it’s gross. (You won’t be surprised to learn that B5 fandom actually defends Londo in large part? Sadly.)
meanwhile, this week on gotham
- Gamora: I was adopted.
- Loki: Me too!
- Gamora: My "father" slew my parents in battle.
- Loki: Wow, same here!
- Gamora: He killed them right in front of me.
- Loki: I was just an infant so I don't really...
- Gamora: He changed me...
- Loki: Mother was the one who changed me, actually...
- Gamora: Tortured me...
- Loki: Father could really raise his voice sometimes, hurt my ears and my feelings...
- Gamora: Turned me into an assassin. Used me as a weapon.
- Loki: ...
- Gamora: I turned on him because I knew I finally had to stand up and do what's right.
- Loki: Yes... look, this is getting awkward so...